Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Out of the Ordinary

"... Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." II Corinthians 12:7-10
The verse above is not just any ordinary comfort: it is powerful. I know of no other person, god, or religion that offers the comfort and challenge offered above. How great and how glorious is our King? How sinful and weak am I?
For real, I cannot put into words how much God is currently blowing my mind with these words. Life is not how I'd like it: I am literally more weak and hopeless than I've ever before realized; but there is hope: God is powerful, and God is perfect. I, therefore, will proclaim my imperfection to the world. I want everyone to know that I am a complete mess because God is the polar opposite. I can no longer cover my sin or hide my desperate state because the glory and power of God is so much greater than being shoved under the rug. I can't resist it. I need it. You need it. There is not a soul who does not desperately need to glorify the Lord and give up on their own efforts to solidify life. I am so overcome with joy: I have a Father that is the epitome of perfection, and the weaker I am, the more glory he receives. That's nothing less than out of the ordinary. Praise the Lord.



[Shout-out to RUF Winter Conference last weekend. Ballin'.]

No comments:

Post a Comment