Saturday, October 1, 2011

Here's What's Up

Things I am Currently Liking a Lot:
pumpkin spice lattes
fall-colored manicures
J Crew (duh)
wearing a coat
wishing the jorts I'm wearing were ankle-length
the way my macbook tells me when I make a spelling error (i.e. "jorts")
not sweating when I go outside
telling as many people as I can about Jesus' work in my life
best friends
being single (until God's further notice... I'm no feminist.... Want a sandwich?)
Christmas decorations at Hobby Lobby
Crafts
extending my Alpha Gam family
the city of Birmingham
day-dreaming about other big(ger) cities of the south
today and tomorrow's today
The Avett Brothers
not being a hipster
fighting the hipster movement
realizing that the most hipster person I know is my twelve-year-old sister (and that I approve of her hipsterness because she's a hipster even though it's not cool for seventh-graders at Briarwood to be hipsters... but apparently it is at the high school--"Dubstep 'Dega" was their homecoming theme?)
hating that I sin
blogging instead of studying
loving my life

That list could be much longer. I like a lot of things right now. However, all good things (good lists) must come to an end, and really, I SHOULD be studying (anthem of my life).

So, here we go for the bi-weekly-ish update of Rosemary's life as she goes to college...

Don't worry guys: I'm still happy.
I'm sure you were all thinking that joy of mine was too good to be true, and... well, it almost is. The joy of Christ doesn't make sense if you're looking at it through eyes blinded from the gospel. But I'm not. So, it's making perfect sense to me. I have a Savior, and I'm watching him turn every thorn of my life into a garden of roses. By His grace alone, I have every reason and right to be joyful.

I had a mini-emotional breakdown this past Thursday while I was on the phone with Mom. This was partly due to an extreme deprivation of much needed sleep, and partly due to the fact that school has been extremely overwhelming, and I've yet to adjust to my schedule this semester. I am was taking seventeen hours, and under normal circumstances, I could probably handle that. However, until I started talking to Mom, I didn't really realize that my stress level and the condition of my heart haven't exactly been "under normal circumstances" for the past year of my life. I came to the humbling realization that, even though life is much better than it was a little while ago, I'm just not going to be able to juggle seventeen hours this semester. So, I dropped my four elective hours (Elementary Italian I), and admitted to myself that for about the 400th time this week that I'm still a mess of a little college girl and will be the whole time I'm here (and then I'll be a messy little college graduate).... I now have no (as in ZERO) Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes, and by the grace of God, I'll start sleeping a lot more, running a lot more, studying a lot more, and spending a lot, lot more time with Jesus and my introverted self.

I'm in weird spot right now, but it's a good spot. Let's face it: we all just really, really need Jesus. 

I feel like I've JUST crossed the finish line of a marathon**. The worst is over, and the worst was bad, but the important part is that it's over. I did it. I can finally catch my breath. I may have a pulled muscle here and there. I may be sore for weeks. I may have to start seeing a chiropractor... but everyday, it gets better, and-- It's over!... and the only way I finished was through the wonderful, loving, unchanging, and faithful hand of God carrying me all the way through.
To God be the glory. Great things He has done.

I don't care how cliche (how do I put the accent above the e in that word?) it sounds, but I mean it when I say: God has made me into a new person, and I love that. I love Him.

I could continue to elaborate. And praise Him. And tell you more details of my life as a sophomore at the great university on the plains, but Barnes & Noble is about to close. And I was supposed to be studying all this time anyways....

It's whatever. I never regret blogging.

So, I'll leave you with this:
"This is what the LORD says—he who made a way through the sea, a path through the mighty waters, who drew out the chariots and horses, the army and reinforcements together, and they lay there, never to rise again, extinguished, snuffed out like a wick: “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."
Isaiah 43:16-21
Happy fall, yall!


**I've realized that I process a lot of my spiritual growth through cheesy-analogies. #sorryImnotsorry

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you hashtag in a blog post. Makes my social media loving 2011 self happy.

    NO M,W,F classes? I will now revert back to my 1994 college self (no comments about me being old, please) and will be green with envy of that SAH-WEET schedule. #daysoffareheavenly

    Proud of you. Praying for you daily. You are an inspiration. And God IS receiving the glory. Praise His name.

    ReplyDelete