Friday, May 25, 2012

Rosemary Goes to Camp: Introduction

Martin: Now, let's see. Vitamins? 
Annie: Check.
Martin: Minerals?
Annie: Check.
Martin: List of daily fruits and vegetables?
Annie: Check, check... Check for fruits, check for vegetables. Go on.
Martin: Sunblock, lip balm, insect repellent, stationery, stamps, photographs of your mother, grandfather, and of course, your trusty butler, me.
Annie: Got it all, I think.

So, did you like that Parent Trap throwback?... Anyoneee?... Anyoneee? (...Buellerrrr?) Well, I hope you did.
Now, combine The Parent Trap and the Hunger Games, soak them in the gospel, and you've pretty much got Camp DeSoto from scratch! (I mean, that may not be exact recipe, but it's close enough, right?)

That's right boys and girls, Rosemary has gone to Camp. Camp DeSoto for Girls, to be exact. Camp DeSoto is located at the top of Lookout Mountain in Mentone, Alabama, and is filled with smiles and songs and so much love. Have I ever been before? Nope! (which you should know if you read this last summer.) But there's a time for everything, and this summer, it is time for me to be at Camp DeSoto. 

I'm about two days into my two months away at Camp, and I couldn't be more excited about the rest of the summer. I'm making so many new friends. Tomorrow morning, I'll trade in all my free time for official Pre-Camp Training. I so ready to see the personality of our staff and get to know my co-workers and their hearts. What's so great about Camp is that every single aspect of it is so completely soaked in prayer. For months, our directors have been praying for us and taking their decisions for cabin assignments, activities, and etc to the Lord. I can't wait to see His replies and the sovereignty of His will here. Everyone I know who has DeSoto experience under their belt has sung its praises--or more so God's praises through it. I hear the word "fruitful" more than anything else when people have told me what to expect of my summer. Everyone's experience at DeSoto is different but invaluable. I'm so excited to have one of my own.

But let's talk logistics. 

What am I doing at Camp?
My main job is to love with the love Christ pours through me. But what does that look like everyday? I think I'll be learning what it looks like all summer long, but what I know now is that it looks like...
Teaching Archery, Fabric Arts (sewing), and Creative Writing.
Having a cabin full of girls that could be anywhere in the ages of 8-16.
Giving up air-conditioning, technology, and make-up almost everyday.
Being completely immersed in nature.
Living a simple life.
And clinging to the gospel.
... I'll try to keep you posted as often as I can as the weeks go on, and I learn more and more about what Christ's love looks like.

How can you pray for me?
Pray that I would be filled with Christ's love so that I can love others. Pray that I would not pollute Christ's message with my own selfish ambitions. Pray for perseverance, selflessness, cheerfulness, patience, and discipline in my life and choices. Pray for my heart, my campers' hearts, and the hearts of the staff. Pray that everything about my summer would be soaked through and through with the gospel.

How am I blogging right now?
I have an off day! Yesterday, I trained for Archery, and tomorrow, we start Pre-Camp Training, but today was free! SO. I'm sitting in a LOVELY coffee shop in Chattanooga, Tennessee with four wonderful new friends! I have two, varying off-nights a week. On off-nights, we can go 15 minutes south to Fort Payne (laundromat, Sonic, etc), or 40 minutes north to Chattanooga (fun, adorable river-city everywhere). Today, we stopped in a used book shop (where I bought an EB Browning anthology and a Sarah Orne Jewett short story... eeekk!), lunched at TAZIKIS (!), and made our way over to Rembrandt's Coffee Shop. It is unbelievable idyllic here.

How can you be my best friend?
Snail mail.... See address below!



Written with love from the Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. Hey cutest blogger in the world... So excited for your summer at camp! I'll keep you in my prayers, and (no promises!) I'll try to get a letter in the mail soon!

    ReplyDelete