Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Rosie Reads

I read.

I'm hesitant to say I read a lot, because I know way too many people who read way more than I do. I read loads of internet articles, most of which I find in my Twitter feed. (My favorites are usually from The Gospel Coalition, which I highly recommend you stop reading this blogpost to check out.) I read a variety of short stories and poems and novels (and their SparkNotes) and studies and textbooks (and did I mention SparkNotes?) for my major. Like any other English Ed. major, I love bookstores and their smell and whatnot that we all pretend we're "embarrassed" to be such a "nerd" to love. (Let me clear this up for you, there is no shame amongst English Ed. majors. Each and everyone of us is proud as punch to love the smell of books, and most all of us want everyone to know that we love the smell of books. This is not actually an embarrassing fact for any of us.) However, unlike most of the book nerds I know, bookstores also make me very sad. Approaching the Classics shelf at Barnes and Noble may as well be like approaching shelves full of my shortcomings. Because I read... but I can't say that I read a lot.

I grew up in a house where books are only used to decorate. So, you see, I have a lot of catching up to do, and a couple decades of bad habits to break. Yes, I read, but reading books isn't exactly a second-nature thing for me. (We can address the issue of reading being second-nature to all humans later. Just stick with me for now.) I wish it was. I'm working to make it so. It's just a process... and because of all this, everytime I finish a book, I feel hugely accomplished, which is actually something I wish the avid, second-nature, came-out-of-the-womb-reading-while-their-mother-practically-read-during-labor type of readers could experience. Despite the obvious downsides to not growing up in a house full of readers, I think I do have one thing they don't. Those readers will really never know the satisfaction I feel when I finish a book. It's a beautiful thing to know that you've done something to stop terrible cycle from continuing--even when it's as small as finishing a book.

I've decided to celebrate these little accomplishments here. 
It won't be any big party, just a small get-together of my favorite quotes from what I've just read. 
I'll call them "Rosie Reads." Oh, and I'll only write a Rosie Reads if the book was good... because ain't nobody got time to celebrate bad literature. 

But we should all make time to celebrate good books. We should all make time to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment